25 year old female had a Sudden Cardiac Arrest | Knowledge.ca
25 year old female had a Sudden Cardiac Arrest
Submitted by:

In September 2011, I had an emotional breakdown. A lot of stress was building up on me from Family, Friendship, Work and my Wedding. One night, I had a faint like experience. According to my fiance (at that time), I collapsed on my bed, my eyes were rolled back, my body was seizure like and I was breathing heavily. The last thing I remembered was talking on the phone and then all of a sudden I was dreaming. In my dream I could hear my fiance calling out my name. I woke up hyperventilating and having chest pain. My fiance was beside me calling 911. A minute later, the paramedics and fire fighters were in my bedroom. They took me to VGH ER, however the doctors could not figure out what had happened to me. In one night, I had a pregnancy test, blood test, ECG, and a CT Scan. Everything was normal so I was sent home. A week later, I saw a Neurologist. I did some tests with her and it turned out I did not have a seizure. Since everything was normal I just carried on with my life and went back to my normal routine.

On November 3, 2011 I had a Sudden Cardiac Arrest.
I was 25 years old, fit & healthy and was preparing for my big wedding day. I didn't do any drugs/smoke/or drank alcohol. I have no memory of my sudden cardiac arrest but according to the staff at YMCA and my doctors, I was on the elliptical and then I fainted. I banged my head on to the floor and was unconscious. The life guards came and started performing CPR on me. They had to use an AED (automated external defibrillator) because I had a sudden cardiac arrest. My heart stopped for 4 minutes. After the life guards resuscitated me, I was conscious when the paramedics came and took me to Vancouver General hospital. When I was at VGH the doctors put me in an induced coma for a few days. I had every machine hooked up to my body from IV's to respiratory ventilators. Basically, I was on life support. After I woke up from a coma, I was in and out of sleep. I was on many medications as well. My family and friends came to see me everyday. My fiance was by my bedside from the time I woke up until I fell asleep everyday. I was seen by various doctors trying to figure out why I had a cardiac arrest. More testings were done: blood work, ECG, ECHO, MRI. Nothing was found.
On November 10, 2011, my cardiologists decided to implant a defibrillator/pacemaker into my chest so that if I ever had another cardiac arrest I will be saved. The next day, I was omitted from the hospital. I came home with a weak body, some memory loss & a machine inside my chest along with a scar on my chest.

Now I am happily married & I volunteer with the Heart & Stroke Foundation as a public speaker & AED advocate.

Follow us @KnowledgeER
Loading Tweets