NEVER use a Pressure Cooker | Knowledge.ca
NEVER use a Pressure Cooker
Submitted by:
Munnie B

Mother’s Day, May 12, 2013 was the day that changed my life. I was in charge of the potato salad for a barbeque we were attending. I decided to boil the potatoes in a pressure cooker to speed up the process (I had done this a number of times prior to this date). Before opening the lid I said outloud “I feel like this is going to explode on my face” my mom told me I was being sil— before her sentence could finish the lid exploded as I tried to open it. It sounded like a gunshot went off in my house…luckily I moved my face away in time to avoid being hit by the lid…but it was too late…the scorching hot water drenched my face, neck & upper chest area (which also had potatoes stuck to it). I was in shock. I ran to my room & told myself it was JUST hot water…I even changed my shirt hoping nothing happened to me (I want to make mention that I do not even remember doing any of this…this is what my family tells me). As the material touched my skin I felt like someone was skinning me alive. The pain was unbearable….I cannot explain the pain I felt….somebody had just lit my body on fire. My brothers are my hero’s…they saved my face. They reacted very fast & threw me into a cold shower without thinking twice…The water was too cold but my body was too hot.

I was now in SMH. I have heard extremely horrible stories of others experience in the ER but, the nurses & doctors I came across were amazing. Wakening up I realized I couldn’t see from my left eye & from my right eye I was staring at my raised cheek. When I saw my face for the first time….I was shattered…my face was completely burned…black & swollen, I didn’t even know who was staring back at me in the mirror – I was unable to recognize myself…I was scared of myself.

I was now at the Burn Clinic at VGH where I met Dr. Papp and this wonderful, wonderful OT who I have to mention – Lisa Alguire (an angel!). After spending a few days at the hospital the swelling had come down. I was sent home to a hospital bed we had to rent because I was unable to move due to burns on my chest. After treatment every day my face slowly started to peel & my eye began to open – I was so ecstatic! My face slowly started to appear & the ophthalmologist told me my eyesight would be back to normal! But as time went on my upper chest did not heal & eventually I was told I am having surgery.

June 23, I went in for surgery & had a piece of my head shaved off to take some of the skin and graft it to my chest. The next week was extremely difficult…I was unable to move even the slightest bit. Slowly overtime I have now recovered and I am left with a huge (others say it is small) scar & discolored skin (& I am to avoid the sun as much as possible for the rest of my life). My family is the most amazing thing that every happened to me, without them I would’ve lost it.
Never take life for granted. In a matter of second’s life can change. I have learned never to judge anyone – everyone has a story.
That is the story of my scar.

Follow us @KnowledgeER
Loading Tweets