Call for Development Proposals from IBPOC Documentary Producers
Knowledge Network is inviting development proposals from Indigenous, Black, and People of Colour (IBPOC) documentary producers based in British Columbia. Our programming priorities are for creative documentaries exploring social issues, culture, history and/or the arts. Format can be feature length (90-minutes), one-hour or half-hour one offs. A minimum of two projects - 1 documentary project with a BPOC producer and 1 documentary project with an Indigenous producer – will be selected for development with a goal of moving these projects into production the following year. Support will be in the form of a development fee as well as an allocation from Knowledge Network’s CMF Development Envelope.
Eligibility Criteria for the Applicant:
- For the purposes of this targeted development initiative IBPOC refers to the following groups;
- Indigenous peoples to Canada who are based in BC (i.e., First Nations, Inuit and Métis).
- Racialized Communities (i.e., Black People and People of Colour).
- Must be a for-profit incorporated production company.
- 51% of the ownership and control of the Applicant company and copyright in the project must be retained by a member of the IBPOC community who exercises full control of creative, artistic technical and financial aspects of the project.
- Production company and owners must be based in BC.
We will be hosting Q&A sessions for producers looking for additional information about this call and working with Knowledge Network on the following dates & locations:
- Tuesday, June 20th, 2023 at 1:30 pm at 10 Acres Bistro (611 Courtney Street, Victoria) (Please RSVP by June 14th.);
- Thursday, June 22nd at 3:30 pm at Jam Jar (2290 Commercial Drive, Vancouver) (Please RSVP by June 14th.);
- Friday, June 23rd at 10:30 am - Zoom session. (Please RSVP by June 14th.)
To register for any of these info sessions please email Gordon Loverin at email@example.com
Deadline for Submissions – Friday, August 4th, 2023 at 5:00 pm.
Successful applicants will be selected in September 2023.
Projects will be reviewed by Patrice Ramsay (Senior Manager, Independent Production) and Gordon Loverin (Production Executive, Original Documentaries) in consultation with Knowledge Network’s Programming team.
Questions? Please contact Gordon Loverin at 604.842.9809 or firstname.lastname@example.org